Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Is It Bric a Brac Or Collectibles? Where Have All The Good Vintage Kitchenwares Gone?

In Search Of Vintage Kitchen Collectibles: Getting Hard To Find

One of my absolute favorite pastimes is to go out antiquing and to buy more kitchen collectibles and other favorite collectibles for my shop Kitsch n Stuff, located in The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT. Thank goodness I hoarded a lot of great vintage kitchenwares for years and years.

Is It Bric a Brac Or Quality Vintage Collectibles?

I have written about this topic before so forgive me for kvetching again about this matter. It is just painful for me to see so much bric a brac being passed as "collectibles" both in shops and online. Now that I think of it, what I am finding is that bric a brac is showing up in lovely Antique stores and good stuff is showing up at Flea Markets. The problem is that dealers are selling the "junk" for the same price as the collectibles and the asking price of the collectibles is for the retail market!

Readers: Are You Finding Kitchen Collectibles Easily?

Readers, please take a moment to share yur experiences? Are you able to find genuine kitchen collectibles from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s? Or do you get frustrated having to sift through a lot of bric a brac when you out shopping or surfing online?

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

4 comments:

  1. Gee, I guess I missed the difference between the two terms and was ready to learn more about it. I do know that there is a lot of terrible stuff from China in the thrifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping that when the fad for "thrifting" and "flipping" blows over, things will return to normal for those of us who have a true love for antique and vintage goods. Around here the nice items are being picked over by rude folks trying to get a quick buck. Just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you said is so true. I have alot of housewares from 40-70's and people want to be rude like I am ripping them off when they can get a reproduction piece of junk for 2 dollars. And when the people buy this junk online they wont shop anymore because they think we are all like the ones who sold them junk for a collectible. All we can do is wait it out I HOPE.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis