Thursday, January 3, 2013

Collecting Dolls With Hand Crocheted Doll Clothes


Charming Vintage Dolls In Fashionable  "Lady Like Clothes" 

How adorable are these hand crocheted outfits for these vintage dolls?
I remember during the early Barbie doll craze, my grandmother would supplement the clothes that I bought for my Barbie dolls with handmade outfits.

Was My Barbie Doll Too Risque? 

I guess Grandma Sophie thought my Barbie dolls were getting to look to sexy for their age and she wanted them in more "lady like outifits".

Using Up Your Yarn For Doll Clothes

Dressing dolls in fashionable homemade clothes was an enjoyable pastime for homemakers in the 30s, 40s, 50s as women found a way to use up small amounts of leftover yarn.

Collecting Dolls With Croqueted Outfits

Today you will often  small bisque dolls with tiny hand croqueted outfits as a little bit larger but still   petit dolls with bonnets, dresses and coats. Often the charming clothing are covering a broken or loose arm ....but for a shelf  collection I'm not alarmed. Recently I came across a bounty of these dolls at Antiques on the Farminngton, Collinsville, CT

Tucked away on a book shelf I found these darlings which I though you might like to see. These dolls were priced for about $15.00 each as I recall. Now that is a fair price for all the detailed  work in their custom outfits.
 

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro café. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

5 comments:

  1. These are all so sweet. I collect dolls but haven't really seen many of these. I love ALL dolls...new and old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those outfit are crocheted. Croquet is a game played with mallets and balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zendelle, I actaully looked up the spelling and somehow typed the wrong one...thanks kfor setting the record striaght and I have fixed the post. Always welcome a copy editor!

    thanks Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. the blue one was the best among the three! just like princess sarah.

    Andre
    ________________
    barbie party supplies

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! These clothing are really awesome. So pretty! But the blue one really captured my attention.
    ShopAtOliviasDollCloset.com

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis