Monday, January 28, 2013

Collecting And Decorating Your Home With Flea Market Style Studio Pottery

Flea Market Pottery Is Fun To Collect

It's so much fun to collect and decorate your home with handmade studio pottery.

I enjoy visiting Flea markets, small Antique shops, tag sales etc. to find different kinds of artist made pottery bowls, vases, pitchers etc. The fun is putting together a collection of pieces made by a variety of   amateur and accomplished artists from different locations around the country and world.

Finding Studio Pottery At Queen Anne Antiques, Canton, CT

One of my favorite haunts for inexpensive studio made pottery is a tiny shop in Canton, Connecticut off Route 44, called "Queen Anne Antiques".  April who, owns this shop is always stopping at tag sales and flea markets to add new pottery collectibles to her inventory. She sells most of her small to medium sized  pieces for $8.00-18.00.  They are not alwlays vintage but they are attractive. I consider that a real bargain for all the work that goes into making a handmade clay piece.

When Artist Sign Their Pottery

I like to find examples of work that have the artist name scratched into the bottom of the piece, I find it very satisfying to know that someone made a piece that i brought home. While I do prefer handcrafted work, in my home I mix artist made pottery with vintage vases and planters from the 1930s and 40s. I enjoy blending different surface textures together from flat to glossy and varying the shapes, sizes and colors.

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of I Antique Online an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©. To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com Dianne is a member of: The American Society of Journalists and Authors The Society of Professional Journalists

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis