Friday, June 4, 2010

Visiting B. Johnstone A Posh Vintage Shop In Kent Connecticut

Mixing Prada Shoes With 50s Kitsch

Introducing "B. Johnstone", a trendy boutique on North Main Street in Kent, CT which successfully mixes 50ish (and 60th) kitsch and collectibles with new and vintage clothing.

Trendy, Posh, Vintage

As luck would be, I found myself at the side entrance of this shop and I wandered inside. Hm...."Am I in a clothing store?" ...."Is this new stuff or old?" ...."Are those collectibles on the shelf"? ...."Where am I?"

I didn't want to ask too much too soon (very preppy guy at the desk). After all, if the clothes and decorative items were not second hand...I might be sorry I asked. So I wandered around a bit and returned to the desk. I was politely told that the shop carried a little bit of everything......whoa...I was in my comfort zone. The prices were fair...I stayed.

Schmaltzy Second Hand

As I started to spot vintage clothing, beverage sets, lamps, plates, clocks, dinnerware, pottery, serving pieces, vases etc. I calmed down....oh yes this is a schmaltzy (over the top) second hand store.

Upscale Thrift

But let's be perfectly clear...this store was upscale. There was a certain "edge" to the collectibles on hand, as well as outstanding presentions by owner Bartley Inge Johnstone who is for sure a master designer!

B. Johnstone
4 North main Street
Kent, CT
860-927.1272

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a very interesting store. I love to visit stores with great displays. They give m ideas to use at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love shops like these - I love the clock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the shoes in the first picture!
    happy saturday-
    mich in mich @
    smile, wink, nod

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these kind of shops "just to look" but give me an old dusty shop any day for real treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun shop. I like Kent. It's a lovely town. My husband went to the prep school there. Next time we go back for a reunion, I'll make a point of stopping in that shop.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite stores and one of the places I love to prop shop for my magazine shoots. I've also had the pleasure of styling photo shoots at Bartley's own home for Better Homes & Gardens Decorating and her client's homes in New England Home and Better Homes & Gardens. She's the real deal with an amazing eye. I'm so glad you you featured her!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis