Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Decorating Your Vintage Style Blue And Yellow Kitchen

Loving A Sweet Blue And Yellow Vintage Kitchen
I'm loving this 1940's kitchen and wish it was mine. I would fill it up with my favorite blue and yellow kitchen collectibles.

Using Just The Right Blue

The blue has to be just the right blue....I pulled together some photos of kitchen-wares that look great together. I can't honestly tell you the dates of the collectibles, but they are from the colorful eras of the 30s, 40s, 50s.

Notice how the kitchen above is done in yellowish off white and blue, yet the counters were done in a dark coral color. This actually is a nice color to add to this combination of blue and yellow. The linoleum floor also picks up a striped edge of this dark coral color.

Re-Painting Kitchen Cabinets

In the second kitchen photo,
a whimsical kitchen is created by giving these 1950ish kitchen cabinets a new coat of blue and yellow paint. As you can see in the top photos , the blue and yellow are more mellow than in the rennovated kitchen shown. But the combination of blue and yellow is still quite charming.

What Types Of Blue And Yellow Kitchen Collectibles And Decorative Items To Look For:

1. metal trays
2. canister sets (Ransburg has a nice blue set)
3. scales
4. vintage wallpaper
5. Yelloware bowl
6. napkin holders
7. vintage tablecloth, curtains, potholders
8. teapots
9. blue or yellow shelf
10. flowers in a vintage vase

Photos Courtesy Of:
http://www.antiquehome.org/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/extrasprinkles
http://www.preservecottage.com/home.html
http://midorilei.com/blog/tag/blue-and-yellow-kitchen/

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link: C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.comVisit my website, CDianneZweig.comDianne is a member of:The American Society of Journalists and AuthorsThe Authors Guild, Inc.

6 comments:

  1. Dianne,
    Love this kitchen! But I would need some red, where a bit of the blue is!!!! I fwe could only have these wonderful kitchens back!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that metal tray and blue teapot. We're redoing our kitchen soon. I'd like to hang small metal trays like that one all along the backsplash on one long cabinet wall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dianna, I have some lovely Red & Yellow kitchens from the past in mind. And one bad blue one, But the first one pictured is adorable. Meanwhile, I'm sticking to yellow with red accents. Lovin them!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right it is just the right blue and yellow, I have so much trouble finding just the right vintage colors

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed the blue kitchen post, since my kitchen is blue and creams :) Just wish it was bigger. I have a galley kitchen :( thankful to have a home so I try not to complain...
    LOVE vintage kitchen treasures.
    Happy weekend.
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for adding me to your sidebar! I've been a big lurking fan for quite awhile! Enjoy your weekend- Mich in Mich

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis