Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Using Vintage Kitchenwares to Organize Your Trinkets and Notions

Goodbye Plastic Bags- Hello Green Vintage Kitchen

Storing trinkets and odds and ends in plastic bags is not cool these days. Environmentally conscious folks have taught the rest of us to give up on the world of PLASTICS in favor of using materials that can be re-cycled such as glass and metals.


Plastic Bag Guilt: So Now It's Time To
Re-Use, Re-Cycle, Re-Purpose

The message is getting through, "green" is "in" .....and as a result of all this pressure to "save the earth"....I'm starting to change my habit of using new things instead of salvaging old things. In fact, I now experience a guilt attack when I even think of buying Ziploc bags. While I am not totally plastic-free yet, I am well on my way.

Looking Out for "Green Neighbors"

But there are some days that I break down and reach for my Ziplocs. On these days, when I'm in the market, I pray that I'll make it to the check-out counter before I am spotted by one of my very "green" neighbors. I have learned to hide a box of plastic storage bags under a large box of cereal in my cart to save face.

Plastic Boomed in 1950s

It's easy to understand why so many of us Baby Boomers are plastic maniacs. After all we grew up sitting on couches that were covered with plastic, ate cereal in Melmac bowls and watched mom host a Tupperware Party. Let's face it, most of us grew up on plastic and it is hard to let go.

So now the trick is to begin to wean ourselves off all this plastic stuff and to look for other ways to store foods as well as organize the odds and ends which clutter our drawers and counters.

Meet Pink Grapefruit Style on Etsy

Keeping one's home "green" can be a fun project. It is a new way to think about how to re-purpose or re-cycle what you have at home. One of my favorite vendors on Etsy is a shop called Pink Grapefruit Style . This gal is the queen of vintage trinkets and treasure and has really mastered a variety of ways to keep small objects in place using old muffin tns, ice cube trays and loaf pans to hold odds and ends. So now it is time for you to re-visit your basement or attic and turn your old housewares into clever storage containers.

Photos courtesy of http://www.etsy.com/shop/pinkgrapefruitstyle

C. Dianne Zweig is the author of Hot Kitchen & Home Collectibles of the 30s, 40s, 50s and Hot Cottage Collectibles for Vintage Style Homes. She is also the Editor of Iantiqueonline.com an actively growing internet based resource community for people who buy, sell or collect antiques, collectibles and art. You can find Dianne’s fabulous retro and vintage kitchen, home and cottage collectibles at The Collinsville Antiques Company of New Hartford, CT, a 22,000 feet antique emporium with an in-house retro cafĂ©.

To read more articles by C. Dianne Zweig click on this link:
C. Dianne Zweig’s Blog Kitsch ‘n Stuff

Email me at dianne@cdiannezweig.com

Visit my website, CDianneZweig.com

Dianne is a member of:
The American Society of Journalists and Authors
The Authors Guild, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis